Datos personales

Mi foto
some fairs and the new trends have globalized the region using a wrong concept of the contemporary Latin American art.

martes, 20 de abril de 2010

FLORIDA STYLE 2008

MAS MAS, MASEGOSA!
BY ANDREA KOBYLNIK

Sebastián Masegosa’s art is both Latin
American and global and it is entirely his
own. Although Masegosa was born in
Buenos Aires, Argentina, this 33-year-old’s art
knows no frontiers. His paintings are sold all over
the world, including a growing market in the
United States.
The Latin American art market is booming and
demand for artwork, especially abstract art, has
gone through the roof. Investors with cash to play
with are looking for alternatives to a shaky stock
market and a rather precarious property market.
There is guarantee that prices will continue to rise,
Sultry Sebastian Steals
Scene at ArteAmericas
but at least your art will give you
pleasure, and that is worth some-
thing! Here Masegosa shares his
perspective on his art and the
new art boom.
Q: Where have you studied?
A: Although I have always attend-
ed workshops, basically I am self-
taught. Since I was a child, I have
tried all kind of techniques of
drawing and painting. I have also
received scholarships that cer-
tainly enriched my training and
promoted me to get fully in the
art world since I was very young.
On the other hand, I think it was
essential and very influential for
me that I come from a family of
artists and freethinkers.
Q: Who were your teachers?
A: I have been to many studios,
but Diana Aizenberg, Marco
Otero and my Visual Arts teacher
from high school were definitely
big influences in my art.
Q: How could you define your
artwork?
A: Today is totally abstract. I
always try to show a reflection of
my being, without speculation or
conditioning factors.
Q: What makes your art unique?
A: I suppose it’s the fact that we
all are unique and each one has its
own imprint.
Q: What inspires you most?
A: The music. It may choose several
composers from classical or tango to
rock & roll, such as Piazzolla, Moby,
Brucqner, Debussy, Charly Garcia,
Morricone, Cerati, Radiohead, Massive
Attack, and more.
Q: What do you like of being an artist?
A: I love the freedom, in every sense.
Q: What is your favorite artwork? Why?
A: The last one, which is still wet, with
whom I share the euphoria of creation.
Q: How do you perceive the Latin
American art nowadays?
A: I consider there are very good
artists, but I think that some fairs
and the new trends have global-
ized the region using a wrong con-
cept of the contemporary Latin
American art.
Q: What expectations do you have
for your future?
A: In the immediate future, I’m
expecting to buy some cigarettes
because I have no more, listen to
good music and spend night paint-
ing in the studio. But for my long
future, I expect to continue looking
for my best artwork.
Q: When and where will be your
next exhibits?
A: My next individual exhibits will
take place in Buenos Aires at
“Javier Baliña – Art Gallery”. Last
March, I was at ArteAméricas –the
Latin Ameri can trade fair in
Miami– for first time and it went
very well.
Q: Where is your artwork sold?
A: My artwork is mainly sold in the
United States and Argentina. I have
also signed a contract with the
Colombian designer Adriana Hoyos,
to present my artworks in their show-
rooms in the Design District Miami
and Dakota. On the other hand, in
Buenos Aires, my agent Javier Baliña
sold my paintings, known through its
Website jbarte.com.ar, to different
parts of the world.

No hay comentarios: